Friday, September 7, 2012

Weirdness of this week...


Although it was my sincere hope to post every Thursday, it’s looking like Saturdays it is… just fits better with our schedule… Also seems as though my menu was a bit, shall we say, overly ambitious! I intended to cook every night this week and to stick to the pinterest menu, but alas, life has once again happened! I would love to say that I’ll be completely back on track this week, in all honesty, however, I know my life. We eat together every night, but it can’t always be a scratch-made or even semi-homemade meal each night… Time together around the table with no mobile devices, televisions, or screens of any kind this is my aim… so dear readers, I hope to make most of the things on the menu and I plan to continue to make monthly menus, but please forgive me, in advance, for not being so strict – I know you understand… thanks! I’ll be posting this weeks meal pics and family ratings tomorrow – for reals!

Ok – so weirdness of this week…

In January I chopped my hair off… Actually the major trimmings began months earlier, but in January I went short – shorter than I’ve ever gone… and predictably, I loved it for like two months but have been trying to grow it out ever since!

Currently, the hair (I don’t claim it as my own – it has a life of its own!), has had the most bizarre shape and I can’t keep up with it well. We’ve hit one, of what I am certain will be many, awkward phases. In an attempt to not shell out money every pay period for trims to avoid the mullet look it is rapidly developing, I have busted out an old friend from the 80s and early 90s! My curling iron!! WHAT?! Seriously – and yes – I do still own one!

I plugged that puppy in on Wednesday morning and I was surprised! Pleasantly so! Not by the coiffeur – although having some sense of cuteness returning to my do was more than welcomed!! I was surprised by the smell of my curling iron heating up – yeah – I notice weird stuff – but ladies – seriously – you know of what I speak!! There’s this scent of heating metal that is unique to styling devices – crimping irons have the same scent… and no, I don’t still have one of those.

What made the smell pleasant, however, was the way it immediately reminded me of Sunday mornings, special occasions, and holiday parties when my mom (you are awesome Lady!!) would curl my hair for me. She had a super hot curling iron that she had purchased from our hair dresser. Being in a family of super fine hair, this excess heat was necessary, as well as half of a bottle of Jhirmack hairspray (oh yeah – we were not an Aquanet house!!) in order for my feathered bangs to stay feathered, and my under roll to stay page-boy perfect. These were special times though – Mother-daughter times… times when my sister and I would fuss over who got to be with her first… times that occasionally were polished off with pink lipstick and a pair of Mom’s earrings! Good stuff!

 

It’s amazing how scents do that – they transport us in a way – no wonder Yankee Candle is such a powerful addiction!!! Scripture mentions smells as well – “…the pleasing aroma of Christ...” In fact we are called to be such scents among those who don’t yet know Him… in essence – they’ve had stuffed up noses and we are to be the “Vick’s.” We are to be the “squirt” girls of the department stores – well – not exactly… we are to wear the perfume of Jesus so that when we are around those who have never smelled the sweet scent of His love catch a whiff they simply MUST know where we got that scent… is it our soap, an expensive perfume… and then we tell them – it was a gift and the Giver of that sweet smelling nectar wants to give them a lifetime supply too!

2 Corinthians 2:14-17, “But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. 15 For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16 To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task? 17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.” 

But, as the scripture notes – not everyone likes the scent. It’s their choice – so unlike with the “squirt” girls, we don’t force the perfume on others. We don’t sell it. We don’t bathe ourselves in the overkill of it so that it becomes a stench either. Rather – we wear it, with gladness and pray that it makes a lasting impression – one that as they say, “rescue[s] the perishing.”

How do you smell?          

                                                       

1 comment:

  1. I love this, and I love that scent memory!
    I also just nominated you for a blog award over at my blog, if you want to check it out: http://castleblake.blogspot.com/2012/09/liebster.html :-)

    ReplyDelete